Coconut oil for tooth care has become popular, especially with people who are conscious about their teeth. Coconut oil is highly effective in killing certain bacteria that thrive in the mouth. Thus, it suppresses plaque formation and prevents gingivitis or gum disease. It may be surprising, but coconut oil can indeed whiten your teeth. This article will discuss how to use and the importance of coconut oil in teeth whitening.
Why Use Coconut Oil To Whiten Your Teeth
Are you planning to whiten your teeth without knowing the right product to use? Well, coconut oil can be an excellent choice. Here are some of the reasons to consider using this oil.
Coconut Oil Can Be Used as a Toothpaste or Mouthwash
The oil has properties that both prevent tooth decay and reverse it. The medium-chain fatty acids in the oil have potent antibacterial properties that can help suppress plaque formation, thus preventing tooth decay. Research studies have found that dental caries is less likely to develop when there is a sufficient supply of lauric acid, a type of fatty acid found in abundance in coconut that has been shown to reduce oral bacteria.
The acid acts against Streptococcus mutans, the bacteria responsible for most tooth decay cases. Oil pulling with coconut can help reduce plaque formation and gingivitis and kill the bad breath-causing bacteria.
Coconut Oil Contains Glycerin
Glycerin is present in coconut and has traditionally been used to keep teeth healthy. Glycerin helps increase the production of saliva, which flushes out bacteria along with food remnants daily, thus ensuring fresh breath.
When you wake up in the morning, you will notice that your mouth feels fresh and your breath smells good. This is because of the increased saliva flow at night while asleep, which washes out the bacteria overnight. This process gets hampered when there is insufficient glycerin, so it’s crucial to supply extra glycerin continuously through your diet.
Coconut Oil Is a Quick Fix for Toothaches
The oil is not just helpful in preventing dental problems but can also help with certain types of pain. If you suffer from a toothache, you can take some coconut oil directly to the painful area. The strong antifungal properties will help reduce your pain quickly.
Coconut Oil Kills Bad Breath-Causing Bacteria
Bad breath, medically called halitosis, is often caused by bacteria that accumulate in the mouth and produce certain foul compounds. This happens when there is a breakdown of food particles left between the teeth after eating or drinking. These food particles provide a kind of nourishment for these bacteria to produce putrefying substances. This causes bad breath.
The oil helps kill certain mouth bacteria that cause bad breath and cavities. One study showed that when the oil was used in the mouth, like toothpaste, it reduced anaerobic bacteria. Anaerobic bacteria are microorganisms that don’t require oxygen to live and multiply in the body, so they can grow in pockets where there is no air supply.
Coconut Oil Is Easy To Swallow
You don’t need to worry about the taste of coconut because it’s pleasant tasting and easy to ingest. Unlike most oils, this oil is quickly absorbed into the body without being broken down in the digestive tract before entering the bloodstream. This makes it ideal for people who want to increase their energy levels and improve their health quickly without investing too much effort in processing the oil before it is used.
Coconut oil is an excellent substitute for other cooking oils and several dangerous household remedies people have used for a long time.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Teeth Brushing
You can use this oil for teeth brushing by following these simple steps:
- Melt a few drops of the oil and mix it with baking soda to make a thick paste.
- Brush your teeth as usual with this mixture. You don’t need to rinse after this because the coconut will leave behind its scent and antibacterial properties in your mouth. Rinse after a while, and you’ll notice the difference.
- Use the oil mixed with other ingredients, such as peppermint, clove oil, etc., to make an even more powerful solution to help prevent cavities and strengthen your teeth. Coconut oil’s lauric acid protects against bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Coconut Oil as a Dental Floss
You can use coconut oil as dental floss by following these simple steps:
- Melt some oil and dip a string to make an impromptu dental floss. This will help you get rid of your toothpaste tube very soon!
- You can also use the oil the same way you brush your teeth. Dip a dry toothbrush in some melted oil and brush normally, with the oil as an effective replacement for commercial toothpaste brands.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Teeth Whitening
You don’t have to go through expensive treatments to whiten your teeth anymore when you have coconut oil at home! Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Take one teaspoon of honey and add half a teaspoon of the oil. This is one of the most powerful tooth-whitening mixtures you will ever find. So get ready for pearly whites! Mix them thoroughly before applying them on your teeth because honey tends to settle at the bottom, and the oil floats on top.
- Coconut is also a good substitute for commercial brands of tooth-whitening strips. Apply oil directly onto your teeth and leave it on for 30 minutes before brushing them with baking soda. Rinse thoroughly after this, and you will be amazed by the results!
- You can also make an effective DIY toothpaste using this oil at home. Melt one tablespoon of the oil in a pan, add peppermint extract, stevia, or salt, and brush normally! The antibacterial properties of coconut mean that it doesn’t allow bacteria to grow and prevents cavities’ formation. These benefits can help ensure strong and healthy teeth when used regularly.
- You can even use the oil to strengthen your gums by rubbing some of it on the area after brushing your teeth daily. This will help strengthen your gums naturally and prevent further damage from bacterial infections.
- Just like commercial toothpaste, you can apply this oil directly onto the surface of your teeth for a quick whitening treatment that costs practically nothing! Leave it on for about 30 minutes before rinsing thoroughly with water. Repeat daily for whiter teeth in no time!
The Bottom Line
Coconut oil is one of nature’s most powerful oral hygiene and dental care agents! Its strong antibacterial properties can fight cavity-causing bacteria before they even settle in your mouth. The mineral content in coconut can help remineralize your teeth and strengthen them, while lauric acid will actively fight against bad breath!